Thursday, March 19, 2009

Meatatarian From Monday to Thursday: I Hope I Don't Starve


PieWorks is within walking distance of Centenary. The muffeletto is mostly made in S/BC...the bread is made in the store--though there's no telling where the flour comes from--and the olive mix is made by a local company--once again, where the olives come from is not known...so 5 stars for walking distance and no stars for the ambiguity!

It has become apparently clear to me that Jen and I are participating in an experiment regarding gathering foodstuffs which may actually have been easier for ancient hunter-gatherers. Hell, the ancients didn't have to question the false advertisements on labels because their meat and veggies weren't labeled! They knew without doubt where the meat/veggies came from having hunted and gathered the foodstuffs themselves.

The grocery store nearest to my house is about two miles away, however, I'm not walking over the Shreveport-Barksdale Bridge to get there...because it is unsafe. Which leaves the Family Dollar store (about a half a block from my house) as the nearest place within walking distance. Their limited lunch meat section has meats which fall into the * or ** range, thus, not acceptable. I ended up biting the bullet and killing two birds by going to the Krogers (3-4 miles from home). I rationalize the drive to Krogers in that I had to pay a bill and could pick up some of those much needed food items. In their deli I found one brand that is made in Baton Rouge (two different meats!). Cajun Pride: cajun roast beef and cajun turkey! I also found the Eddy brand of all beef sausage is made in Texas.

With these meats in tow and a load of other errands, I headed for the house. Unfortunately, I forgot to grab some of the Luzianne Ice tea (made in Louisiana), so, I was very tempted to drive to Wally World at 2 am Monday when I realized we were out of tea. However, I maintained control and didn't cave into the desire. Instead, I scrounged around the kitchen until I located a brand of tea that was hidden away for emergency purposes. I figure this counts!

Honestly, the conscious effort is more complex than I thought it would be. Especially, when placed in a situation where you must ask someone about where the foodstuffs came from. As a society we really are oblivious! What I find really amazing is unless it's crawfish, it's not really "from" Louisiana!

Until next time!
Oh, eventually we will post the list of foods and respective locations! Keep watching as the saga unfolds!






No comments:

Post a Comment