Monday, March 23, 2009

Veganism, day 3 and onward

So, by day 3 I had established a rythm. Oatmeal for breakfast, leftovers for lunch and cook dinner when I got home in the evening. It worked pretty well. The snags I encountered happened at work and at school. I had to make sure and pack my own lunches to make it through the day.

The cafeteria at school is less than adequate for a vegan diet (sorry, I wasn't going to eat french fries and a plain salad, no dressing, for lunch) and finding a vegan meal at a restaurant that isn't geared towards vegans is next to impossible. My boyfriend did take me out to eat over the weekend and that was fairly sucessful, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't local. I'll talk more about that in my conclusion post.

Some restaurants in Shreveport that have vegan options on the menu :
Albasha's
Dahn's
Yeero Yeero
El Compadre
* Did you notice that all the restaurants are International foods? Yeah, so did I.

Here are the meals that I used throughout the week:

Black-Eyed Peas and Green Beans over Rice
Cajun Spicy Rice and pan-seared Tofu with Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Red Beans and Rice (no sausage, of course)
Instant Oatmeal (duh, duh duh)
Yellow Curry with pan-fried Tofu and Veggies
Hummos (we ate a lot of this, my roommate has an excellent recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment